Homemade Spring Wardrobe.

I haven’t been sewing as much as I want to, lately. However I have created more new items in the past two months then I have in the past year really. Perspective.

I just hope I can keep this up. I am determined not to but any clothes this summer unless it is something we really need and I cannot make. For example, if my one pair of jeans gets a ton of rips. Or if my husband’s one pair of jeans keeping ripping. Which reminds me, I need to fix the current rips.

Anyway, in the mean time, I made some fun pieces. All from patterns.

The first was a McCall’s pattern, M6167.

It sewed up pretty nicely. There are a ton of steps in making these shirts. Unfortunately, I really do not have the body type for these kinds of shirts. I have tried over and over. It looks fair, but I won’t be making myself one of these again anytime soon. Also the buttons and button holes. There are too many. My machine couldn’t handle it, but my mom was there to help.

I made a size 8. It was a good size, I didn’t need to take the sleeves in at all. The shirt is supposed to be a little baggy. It works best with leggings, but probably not with boots. Too Robin Hood, as my mother in law put it.

Next up for St. Patrick’s Day I decided Snug and I should both have a new green piece. Neither of us really having any green at all in our current wardrobe. I made her a skirt from a Simplicity pattern 2356.

It turned out cute, cute, cute!!! The pattern has four different kinds of skirts, we made skirt A in a size 6. Snug is not a true size 6, though because she is so tall we needed the length. The skirt was a little big around the waist, but it is a very easy fix.

The print is very cute, cats wearing pink and yellow shirts sitting on clouds. Doesn’t make any sense, but very cute. The trim is a little too dark for the fabric, but we were trying to use up what we already had.

The instructions were very easy to follow and only a handful of steps. A very simple skirt we made in an afternoon.

Next was my Saint Patrick’s green item, a dress from a McCall’s pattern I had made once before, M5577.

It is a cute dress, but slightly odd. Definitely a jumper. I also, am realizing now, that I forgot to let of the rest of the pleats.

It isn’t that bad. I won’t be making another one of these though. I will be taking out those pleats as soon as possible and getting my hair done.

The last thing we made was Snug’s skating dress. Kwik Sew pattern K2732. Dress B.

We shortened the sleeves and added a layer on them to look like the skirt. We had to take in the sleeves and leotard a little though. Which I am sure will eventually have to be let out. Otherwise it was a very fast and simple pattern.

Practice makes perfect. I obviously need loads more practice and hopefully I can make snug and I some key pieces this summer.

Happy sewing!

P.S. Almost all the fabric you see here we already had. The exception is the first shirt and the buttons on the skating dress.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s